OPENING SONG AND PRAYER
We started our time together by singing hymn #213 "My Hope Is In The Lord"
We continued our review through James, picking up with the following:
- 4 minutes to review/memorize James 4:13-17;
- 2 minutes to review/memorize James 5:5-6
- This passage is talking about real, practical, everyday living in light of God's sovereignty. We must always submit our plans to the Lord. Our lives are not controlled by our own plans or determinations, but by our sovereign Lord and God. Therefore, in everyday living, we ought to submit all things to God and trust in His leading.
- The world often attributes success as a result of self-making or fortunate circumstances. As Christians, we must not fall into that line of thinking. We ought to submit to the truth that our active, living God is sovereign and is orchestrating all things.
- Entrust the salvation of family members to God's sovereignty. Salvation is from the Lord.
- When you leave a job, don't worry about whether things will fall apart in your absence. God is sovereign and we must be humble to acknowledge that He is in control of all things.
- Christians must not live to please themselves in self-indulgent pleasure. If there are people in need within our communities that we can really help, then we ought to help if we are able. We ought not to be "sponges" that receive and hoard the blessings of God for ourselves without also giving to others and blessing them with service and resources. Christians ought to be blessings to other people.
- Luke 16:19-31 - The rich man and Lazarus. The rich man was unwilling to lift a finger to help Lazarus the poor man, but instead was pampering himself.